This recipe has become a tradition around my house, my grandmother has made it for years and this is the first time I decided to brave and make it myself. ITS FABULOUS. Don't be nervous, its not as hard as it sounds!
What you need:
-Large dish towel, clean and dry
- 15x10 jelly roll pan (your typical cookie sheet with the 1" edge)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground clove
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1-8 oz. package cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tbs. softened butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- extra powdered sugar for decoration
~ Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease pan; line with wax or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
~ Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into pan. Sprinkle nuts if desired.
~ Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediatly loosen and turn onto towel. Carefully peel off paper. Cut off crusty edges. Roll up cake and twoel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
~ Beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in small mixer bowl until smooth. (Best if using stand mixer). Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with sugar before serving if desired.